Investors, specifically high net worth investors, usually have tax consequences each year and may need to find investments that offer tax benefits often in the form of ‘write-offs’ as determined by the individual investment itself.
· For instance, a large percentage of an investors investment may be written off through Oil and Gas IDC programs ( Intangible Drilling Costs) under the ‘functional allocation’ provisions of the Program.
· Another form or possible benefit to oil and gas investors may be the depletion allowance. (Approximately 15% gross income is tax free as a result of annual Depletion and Depreciation Deductions under the current IRS tax code.) Other assets will generate Depreciation Tax Deductions with the possibility of bonus Depreciation.
· Passive Income Generator (PIG) – this is an investment that creates passive income which can offset suspended losses, when applicable, resulting in a tax free income stream until those losses are exhausted. Investors with other passive investments are often pleased to find (PIG) to offset their Passive Activity Losses (PAL).
· Common Passive Losses (which are shown on IRS Form 8582) include Equipment Leasing, Rental Real Estate and some Corporate Losses in which the tax payer does not materially participate.
· Rules regarding the deductibility of passive losses and passive income are very complex and each are unique to the individual investor and the investors particular situation when reviewing their investment portfolio.
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION OR TO DISCUSS YOUR TAX OR INVESTMENT ISSUES, DON’T HESITATE TO CONTACT US.